Grange Railroad Museum
The La Grange
M-K-T (Katy) Railroad Depot is located at its original site
adjacent to the tracks at the intersection of North
Washington and Lafayette Streets. The building, which has
waiting rooms, an office and a freight area, was completed
in November 1897 by the Taylor, Bastrop and Houston Railway
Company to replace the town’s first station, which burned in
March of that year. The T,B&H was soon taken over by the
Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad. Passenger service continued
until the 1950s and the depot received and dispatched
freight as late as the 1970s.
the museum exhibits include the original pot-belly stove,
M-K-T safe, and stationmaster’s desk, in addition to
numerous historic photographs and a gold-headed can
presented to James Converse in 1880 in appreciation of his
successful efforts to bring a railroad to La Grange. There
also are hands-on exhibits for both adults and children.
The museum opened on April 29, 2006.
to the tracks, the La Grange Railroad Museum is open the
every Saturday (except occasional holidays) 10 a.m.
to 4 p.m.